Liberals Complete Lack of Economic Understanding Astounds
Comical? Scary? Both?
Ok, here’s the short list of the ways to create jobs that our liberal friends dreamed up this week. They’re just trying to scare us, right?
- Unemployment Insurance (from Whitehouse spokeman Jay Carney): ”It is one of the most direct ways to infuse money directly into the economy because people who are unemployed and obviously aren’t running a paycheck are going to spend the money that they get. They’re not going to save it, they’re going to spend it. And with unemployment insurance, that way, the money goes directly back into the economy, dollar for dollar virtually.”
“Every place that, that money is spent has added business and that creates growth and income for businesses that leads them to decisions about jobs, more hiring. So, there are few other ways that can directly put money into the economy than applying unemployment insurance.”
- Food Stamps (from Ag Secretary Vilsack): ”Well, obviously, it’s putting people to work. Which is why we’re going to have some interesting things in the course of the forum this morning. Later this morning, we’re going have a press conference with Secretary Mavis and Secretary Chu to announce something that’s never happened in this country — something that we think is exciting in terms of job growth. I should point out, when you talk about the SNAP program or the foot stamp program, you have to recognize that it’s also an economic stimulus. Every dollar of SNAP benefits generates $1.84 in the economy in terms of economic activity. If people are able to buy a little more in the grocery store, someone has to stock it, package it, shelve it, process it, ship it. All of those are jobs. It’s the most direct stimulus you can get in the economy during these tough times.”
- Open Borders (from NYC Mayor Bloomberg): “Most importantly, we want to get immigrants from around the world to come to America. That’s the single biggest thing that the president could do with Congress, is open up the borders to those that will create jobs here,” Mayor Michael Bloomberg (I-NYC)
- Regulation (from EPA Secretary Jackson): “Lisa Jackson, the EPA administrator, was ready to combat the job-killing rhetoric. In her opening statement to a House Energy and Commerce Committee subcommittee, she quoted a UMass Amherst study that found that the construction and retrofitting investments in the eastern US under two new EPA air quality rules would produce nearly 1.5 million jobs over the next five years.
- UPDATE – Green Jobs: Not sure what happened that we forgot to include green jobs. The President is still trying to sell this idea, though even his most ardent admirers have given up the ghost. This report does a really good job of explaining one of the largest government fiascoes in our history. We apologize for the earlier omission.
There is only one way to create jobs – grow the economy! For that to happen we need less regulation, less government taking less of our money and a rational immigration policy. When the economy grows educated people from around the world will come and start up new companies and indeed create new jobs. But first we must grow the economy!